We have No strobulantaz to boast about ...
No blue hills to colour your dreams ...
But our hills are still claded with huge Evergreen trees of Tropical Evergreen forests ...
Rivers are still crystal clear and unpolluted ...
Some Facts ..
Formation of Aralam Wildlife Sanctuary GO(P) 300/84 dated 15.10.84 Formation of Aralam Wildlife Division GO(MS) 36/98 dated 27.05.1998
- North – Karnataka State
- East -- Wayanad district
- South – Kottiyoor RF and Cheenkannipuzha
- West – Central State Farm Aralam
55 Sq Km (5500 Ha)
Northern most protected area of Kerala and situated in South east Kannur District.
Latitude 110 541 and 110 591 North Longitude 750 471 and 750 871 East
20 Km away from Iritty
Nearest Railway Station
Thalassery & Kannur
Some Challeneges ..
Fragmentation of forest habitat is going to be the biggest challenge to biodiversity conservation in Kerala in the forthcoming decades.
In this context, forests of Aralam wildlife sanctuary assume importance on the following grounds.
- Forests of Aralam and adjacent areas represent the only compact protected patch of vegetation belonging to the unique vegetation sub-type viz; the Dipterocarpus-Messua-Palaquium sub-type in Kerala. The edaphic conditions of the region are distinct from those of the southern reaches.
- Aralam is a contiguous block of forests stretching to the adjacent Wayanad-Brahmagiri and Wayanad northern slopes. The forests are also contiguous with the protected areas of the Karnataka state namely the Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary and also with the forests of Coorg and assume much importance in meta population management especially with regard to the case of larger mammals such as Gaur, Elephant, Tiger and endemic primates such as Lion-tailed macaque, and Nilgiri Langur.
- The Cheenkannipuzha, a major tributary to the Valapattanam River originates from the forests of Aralam and this river is very crucial in controlling the Agro-Economy and Fishery- Economy of Kannur District. Perennial nature of the river is very much depended on the watershed services provided by the Aralam forests.
- It is the only protected stretch of forests in the district and since man-wildlife conflict is a mounting problem in the region, due to the presence of larger fauna, Aralam wildlife sanctuary has tremendous scope in the field of Conservation, Education, Research and creating environmental awareness.
- Aralam sanctuary forms a vital link in the network of protected areas stretching from north to south along the Western Ghats.
- Aralam forests with its local specialized ecological niche support a variety of endemic species, which are in the verge of extinction.